5.17.2013

abigail rose turns twenty.

When I first came to G42, I lived under the same roof as Abigail. Her spunky nature, quick tongue, and predilection for always putting in her ten dollars, even if it means talking over people, made me avoid her like she was a deadly contagion.  And I did, successfully, until. . . a month later, we were forced to move . . . into the same room together.  Needless to say, I was a little bit upset.  Resentful.  Desperate.  I was sure that moving in with her would be the end of my sanity.

I was sure of it.

The first week was fine.  We basically slept in the same room, woke up, got ready, and said very little.  I tried making some small talk here and there, and we were civil to one another.  Then I got really sick.  I was feverish and having hallucinations, and I thought, "Oh God, I'm going to need to depend on her for something."  This, of course, irritated me, but I knew that God was laughing at me.  I still remember laying in bed like a dolt, unable to move, but still fighting with myself about whether or not to ask her for a glass of water.  With tears rolling down my face, I eventually fell asleep and the next day, Abby had bought me water, ginger ale, crackers, and soup.  Chicken soup, which I couldn't eat, but whatever.

This was the beginning of a beautiful friendship.  Before I knew it, I was crying into her shoulder, telling her about my past, as she rubbed my back and we fell asleep on the couch.  We were having late night pillow talks about life, God, and people we love (and people we don't love, but need to love more).  She was teaching me how to swing dance, and we grew together.

I guess I wasn't so sure after all.  But she does make me kind of insane most days.
I love her regardless.

She celebrated her twentieth birthday back in March, and we took her out for some drinks, then had a swing dancing party!  So, in celebration of Abigail Rose, I will tell you twenty ways that she is wonderful:

1. She always speaks her mind.
2. She'll always speak your mind for you.
3. She can psychoanalyze anything.  She'll probably psychoanalyze a plant for you.
4. Her feet smell like a 14th century sewer.
5. She is basically unoffendable.
6. She is bootyful.
7. She is compassionate.
8. She is patient.
9. She is loving.
10. She is loyal.
11. She walks like a soldier.
12. She's not afraid to yell at anyone.
13. She's the clumsiest person I know.
14. She thrives on a 95 percent sugar diet.
15. She's an amazing companion.
16. She hugs anything that moves.
17. She will get in your bizniz.
18. She thinks she's from the ghetto.
19. She is insightful.
20. She farts sometimes when she laughs too hard.


So, happy birthday to our little Abigail.
May you have many more years added to your sweet life.


















She made us play Quelf. 


No comments:

Post a Comment