8.30.2013

canadian country weddin'.

So my friend married a Canadian farmer.  I know, pretty cool, huh?  The first time I met him in person, he was covered in dirt and wearing an overall jumpsuit looking thing with no shirt on.  He had a shirt on at the wedding though, so that's good.  I had the privilege of getting to know Wendy on my World Race.  She was on my second team, Amaranthine, and we were teammates for five months.  It's hard to believe that our first month together was spent quite literally side by side, confined in a room as small as the average person's closet, sleeping about an inch apart from one another on the floor.  We were in Mozambique, Africa.  Ah yes, I still remember the long hot nights when we put the fan on "tornado" and it still just blew hot air back at us.  I remember hearing the sound of Wendy flopping around uncomfortably on her sleeping pad hat resembled more like a raft than a mattress. (While I, in my wretched state, would begin the night nicely cushioned, and end it sleeping literally on concrete. Damn that hole in my sleeping pad.  Damn it all.)  The friction between the concrete floor and the plastic made this awful sound that reverberated into my soul.  Then of course, Wendy and I spent most of the month alternating being deathly ill -- so that wasn't really a good start to our relationship.  You know, I really think we only started getting close during our last month together.  Maybe I had won her over just a little bit in Swaziland. . .but such is the nature of the Race. 

Wendy is a beautiful girl.  I remember her quirkiness and her excellent manners.  She has amazing penmanship, and she's fond of the simple things in life.  Her heart is steadfast toward God, and she's been through enough to know that the simple things are what matter.  I love that about her, and I'm so glad to have been able to be with her for a little while during our journey around the world.  Wen was in a relationship going into the Race with her Dan, and I saw the same photographs of the two of them -- standing in front of a fountain, and then in front of the same tree.  Through some miracle they lasted the Race --- not that they were dysfunctional or anything -- it's just that people tend to grow apart on the Race unless they're already engaged because there's so much happening and so little time for communication.  It just gets hard.  But they made it through!  He proposed, and Wen had contacted me while I was at G42 and asked me if I would come to the wedding.  I said, "ABSOLUTELY without question!!!"  I was honored by them to be asked to sing a song during their ceremony and to this day it means so much to me that she even asked.  I loved sharing that special day with them.  I flew directly from Spain to Canada the very next day to be there.  It just so happened to fall on the day after. 

I had so much fun seeing everyone again -- it was a bit surreal, but entirely normal at the same time.  I know we'll be friends for a long time to come.  After all, when you get Malaria and cast out demons together, wouldn't you stick with that friendship too?

Congrats, Wendy & Dan!
(Belated, but oh well.)

 It's Mar!



 Pretty ladies.





 Beautiful!
 



































 Portrait of her mother done by her brother.  She had passed away on her Race.









 DAN!  Look at the camera, man!

Did he blink?  Is this just blurry?  I'm upset this is the only photo I got.  haha.



No comments:

Post a Comment